Wednesday, January 02, 2008

the book is DONE

It is finally final. I have a copy in my hands of the 'lasers' of the book. They are laser printed pages that show the book as it will be. Well, as it will be after a few changes. I have the pages so that I can look over them and let the editors know if anything is dramatically wrong. Like jewelry photographed backwards or the wrong picture with the directions, etc.

When I opened the package, I think I hyperventilated. I couldn't tell if I was going to cry or pass out or just pass out, crying. Luckily, I had a couple of lifeguards there to steady me.

So I read and noted the revisions (one piece photoed backwards, other than that it was just me being picky) and got to enjoy the how-to diagrams (which are very nice, the fine work of J'Aimee Allene) and even got to have a weird, out-of-body moment when I realized that I had done all this work. I still don't know which project will appear on the cover. I am voting for the colorful and complex Helen but it may be the enigmatic Golden Shimmer or the sweet Coral Blossom.

As a final bit of work, I had to have my author photograph taken. Generally, I don't mind my photo being taken but that is because I am usually holding Nora or Cleo when that happens and I look pretty relaxed and happy. For some reason I got all freaky about this photo, you know, it's going in a book. I should look sorta professional. That the final photo at the bottom of this post. Thank you to Kurt who showed up at my house on New Year's Eve with about a million pounds of equipment and turned my living room into a studio. The girls ate snack while he got it all set up. He took at least 50 shots until I finally stopped obsessing about my hair and my collection of striped tee shirts and was able to smile. He was in and out of our house in about 60 minutes, I swear, and I look pretty good if I do say so myself. I don't know how he did it. Oh, that's the Barcelona necklace in the shot, but you didn't hear it from me.






















See more of Kurt's work at his flickr page or his website.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:03 AM

    Congratulations! I can't wait to order a copy and have it autographed when I come for a visit in the Spring. The photo is beautiful! -Venia

    PS you really do need to open a store out here in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congratulations! Such an accomplishment! It's interesting to hear the process as it is done by different publishers. I can relate to the hyperventilating. The day I rec'd my advance copy was the first day I saw the whole thing in color! I had to proof in black and white! Can you imagine???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats - you look fab! Can't wait to see your 3rd "child." xo, Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?