Friday, February 01, 2008

Art Bead Scene Monthly Challenge

This is the Ice Storm necklace I created for the Art Bead Scene's January challenge. I used beads by Elaine Ray including a tree medallion for the center. The words 'ice storm' make me think of the giant pecan tree that shades our home. It is sheltering from the summer sun but in the winter, with a dangerous glaze of ice it seems to tower with a glittering menace. If that tree fell, it would smash our small house into ruins. I made this necklace a bit menacing with daggers of crystal quartz and a small vial of rock salt to protect the wearer from danger. I used flat shell beads along the neck like worn shingles and added some dangles with ceramic snowflakes and drops of water. Originally I was going to incorporate a hand-made sterling bezel by Susan Lenart-Kazmer with the number '32' inside but I messed it up first with Diamond Glaze and then with Amazing Glaze. Since I usually tell folks those are fool proof I may have to reset my ideas. If you know how to get dried Diamond Glaze out of a bezel, please let me know.

I wonder who will win the challenge. Whether I win or not, it was fun working with a theme and a deadline.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:52 PM

    This is GORGEOUS! Are you planning on selling it?

    Also, to remove resin from a bezel, I use this stuff called Attack Adhesive Remover. I let the bezel soak in it and the resin dissolves. You can get it at Rio Grande, and I'm sure other places. It should work for the products you used (I think). HTH!

    Hope you win the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sell it? Probably not. I will either give it as a gift-of-art or wear it or both (ha!)

    I will investigate the Attack Remover...that sounds very helpful especially since those bezels are quite nice and I would love to be able to use them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really stunning! I love the color combination. And I think my favorite is how you knotted the shingle like flat shell beads. What a cool concept! I might try that on my next Summer-themed piece!
    I have seen it in projects a lot lately. Is it hard?
    I guess I could probably find some sort of tutorial on it online?
    Anyway, Great Job! I think it should have won the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:38 AM

    I don't know if you have solved or dissolved your problem with your bezel but I have had the same problem in the past. I work with Diamond Glaze a lot - I make sample cards for Judikins-. I just worked patiently with an exacto knife and was able to finally pry all the DG out of the bezel. Also I find it helpful to store my bottle of Diamond Glaze upside down in a glass, This way it is always ready to use and the bubbles have gone to the top (which is actually the bottom and the furthest distance from the nozzle).
    pj dutton

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?