Thursday, July 24, 2008

Oats! Mom's little secret...


It is summer and we are having a very relaxed time. We didn't do any camps or lessons or organized activities at all. For the most part, it's been great. We have gardened and drawn, felted and sewn, read book after book and played a million games of dress-up. Some days, today for instance, I would have given my fingernails for a giant glittery camp fairy to show up and transport my crabby children to riding lessons or cooking camp or even to story time at the library with a patient baby sitter so I could just, please, cook dinner or make a phone call or even pee by myself. Today the giant glittery fairy did not show up. I asked my two year old "What can you and your sister do that will be quiet and fun?" and she said, in her infinite two-year-old wisdom "play with oats." Yep, that is about a cup of dried oats being measured and spooned and even eaten. You can't see me peacefully chopping squash, folding socks and dancing to some music. You also can't see the carpet that is covered in oats, but trust me, it was worth it.

If you see that glittery camp fairy, tell her I don't need her after all.


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea. My kids liked to play with baking soda which is a nice thing to use to clean the kitchen. Oats do seem rather messy to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clean up part with the oats is easier as you can pick them up with tweezers. This makes my five year old happy, she gets to use mom's tweezers. For some reason, I don't know why, I forbade the use of tweezers one day. Now any tiny thing that needs picked up with tweezers is the occasion for celebration in my house.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?