Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fall Fashion...on an 85 degree day!

photo from Style.com
Tweedy, horsey, New England-ish....Fall fashion, almost every year, is completely unwearable in North Carolina until, oh, November? It's hot here. We can wear our summer clothes (maybe in darker colors? or with boots?) for months after the Northern Gals have donned their velvets.

But still...I grew up in the Midwest. Late AUGUST nights can be chilly. September often requires tights and sweaters. Ahh...it seems like a mythical land right now with the cicadas humming outside my window and a watermelon growing in the garden that I will harvest in September. Summer is not going anywhere. I don't really want it to go anywhere, honestly. I am generally quite happy to enjoy the heat and sun EXCEPT that I really want to wear that curvy purple velvet jacket. It's romantic+shaped+purple! Mmmm...I can skip the camel trousers, hip-length slim jackets and high-laced leather boots. They're lovely, but would be a bit comical on me.

Yes, I know there are also loads of soft, sheer floral dresses this fall. And 50s big skirts and fitted sweaters.  I can and will wear those (shh, I already have a bunch of them in my closet!) At least, I will wear them after it cools down...after that watermelon has been picked & the leaves start to turn. In November.

What about you...can you wear fall clothes in the actual fall?

4 comments:

  1. I live in Ontario. Winter is long enough here, so I wear my summer clothes and sandals until my toes turn blue, and I don't wouldn't normally wear velvet until November either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Here in Raleigh? Not until after Thanksgiving and then not always sure. I can't pull off the New England horsey look, though I adore riding skirts and boots. Even after losing weight I am still 'full figured' and so slim isn't my thing either. And I am unable to wear camel anything as it washes me out. I could go for the purple velvet jacket, only not so short and tight.

    Mary Wilkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just south of Los Angeles, near the beach. I've had Christmas Dinner outside on the patio, but Winter, in general, in a myth. People laugh at me because I actually own a few wool sweaters. The thought of wearing tweed at any time of year here is comical. But, I do LOVE the winter clothes look and I can do boots with no problem - after my flip flops retire for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking from NJ, we're getting steadily more extreme with our seasons. I love the fall items (all those rich textures and honey/amber colors!) but it seems as soon as summer's finished baking me, it's time to cover everything with a huge coat and thick mittens.

    But one can always accessorize to celebrate fall, no matter how winterlike it feels!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?