Monday, September 20, 2010

Shop Local with $20 on the 20th

One place you can sometimes find me early in the mornings sweeping the leaves away from our front door at Ornamentea. Because of other duties, I don't get to do this every day and I consider this task a bit of a luxury. Yeah, I know that sounds odd. Sweeping a luxury? It is. Really. When I am sweeping I think of all the small shop owners in the history of bead shops, bakeries and commerce in general who have started their day by clearing the path to their shops. I am a baker in Marseille, a seamstress on High Street, a haberdasher on Newberry Street.  I think of preparing the space for my customers, making an environment that energizes and encourages them to be their best creative selves. Sweeping the path to my door is medatative and calming and helps me focus on why I do what I do.

The economy over the last few years has made it tough on all us dreamy, sweepy shop owners. We open the doors to our little local shops daily but have to compete more and more with large, national chains and on line retailers*. This is a shame: as locally-based retailers we give so much more back to our communities than the big chains. For every $100 spent with a locally-based merchant, $68 comes back to the community via taxes, payroll and services. When you spend that same $100 with a chain only $43 comes back home to pave your streets, pay your school teachers and employ your friends**. We small merchants contribute to our local economy without tax incentives to locate our businesses here, or ribbon cutting ceremonies featuring prominent politicians. We locate our businesses here because we live here. Our children play in the parks, we drive on the streets, we need the police departments and fire fighters. Our money is spent here too; we have local accountants, local hairdressers, local landlords. We are your neighbors and friends.

Now, I know you are busy and sometimes you just have to get a roll of toilet paper and some light bulbs and a mop and get on with your day. I have those days, too. To help us all remember to shop locally, the folks at Shop Local Raleigh have created the $20 on the 20th campaign. It's easy, just spend $20 at a local store you like on the 20th of each month. It doesn't have to be splurgy items; those light bulbs and toilet paper? You can get those at Burke Brother's Hardware. As a special bonus for you, my crafty Raleigh friend, you can also wander their aisles and find all kinds of tools and do-dads you need. It's way better than super mega ultramart.

*yes, I know we have a website and sometimes WE compete with other local bead stores in other towns. this is a dog-eat-dog conundrum that worries me.I'll write more later about how I try to make this even out a bit...but please let me know what you think in the comments after this post.
**source, the 3/50 project

7 comments:

  1. I just updated my post from today with links about how areas have done this... the Gaston County one got me. LOVE how they all took it much further than just a $20 campaign :-)

    http://iheartretail.com/?p=255

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ornamentea. I live in Wilmington, but it's a given to anyone in the car with me that we'll be stopping by Ornamentea on our way into town. Oddly enough I've only purchased online at your store once. I try to shop locally when I can at my bead store for all the above reasons, but when my feet are actually planted within the Raleigh city limits, I just can't help myself. :) Thank you for what you do and what you offer. It is always a treat for me to step into your store. There are things there that I know I will not find anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcie-thanks for your support and words. We love to think of the store as a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first blush you'd think it'd be easier to be a smaller retailer, with online sales and all, but it's getting a little harder due to the convenience of big chains' sites. For some things Amazon-style shops are great, but when it comes to beads, clasps, and the sheer pleasure of sorting thru pretty bits, nothing beats a real little store! Too bad I'm too far north to visit the real Ornamentea anytime soon, but it's on my list! :D

    And I hear you on the sweeping....simple housekeeping tasks can be the hilight of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To add to the shop-local conundrum (which I totally support as a SLR member) is the fact that the big stores provide jobs in our community. We need to continue to get the word out about goods that can be purchased from local stores so that customers can make the choice to shop locally more easily. i'm hoping for a VERY local holiday season! Wow, how many times can you say "local" in one comment?

    ReplyDelete
  6. DeCocco-
    That is why I included the very important number regarding a local Big Box vs. the same store's on line version. Spend $100 at your local Target, and the community gets $43 or so in payroll, taxes, etc. but the exact same purchase from Target.com nets the local area $0.
    I think the hierarchy should be Locally Owned >Locally Located >On Line and yes, that goes for shopping at Ornamentea.com!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I like that hierarchy!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?