Thursday, December 16, 2010

Acorn Bird Nest project from Twig and Toadstool

My friends Nancy and Jennifer are big fans of this crafty blog, Twig and Toadstool and I have to say I am completely smitten as well. The projects are family-oriented but there is not a puffy foam shape in sight. These are sweet crafts for children and adults that use real craft materials and natural materials. It always makes me sad when I see someone trying to promote crafts for children that use junky materials or lots of plastic-y, self-adhesive stickers. When my children make something I want it to be out of real materials. That creation they spend time on will be on display in our home for a long while and if it is constructed of pretty ribbons, nice paper and sparkly glass beads it will look all the better. The work of anyone, child or adult, benefits from quality ingredients. I know, you are thinking 'hey, that get's expensive!' It can. At our house we embrace hand-me-downs and don't spend money on the latest SuperMarketedPrincessGlitterMess video game and the companion tie-in breakfast cereal to keep the craft budget pumped up.

I have this tiny nest ornament on our list of to-dos and I can hardly wait to make some. We may make our own eggs from clay but the bean idea is great. Go read the directions and you can even follow the blog.

Photo used with permission from Twig and Toadstool.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing and your kind words. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?