Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I've got the hiring blues...

We need to add a person or persons to our staff here at the store. Staff members have babies, go back to school, participate in art shows, take trips, grow gardens. Life happens.

We need a new face. I'm not happy about this at all.

I love my employees. I hate hiring new ones...

Why?

Well, it could be because yesterday I put a very carefully-crafted ad on Craigslist and then I got twenty seven emails from folks who don't really fully read the ad, and don't use spell check, and aren't available when we need them, and aren't really crafty at all, and did I mention the spell check? Or the fact that the ad specifically says to go to the store and fill out an application not to email me?

Now sometimes, this is kinda funny. Like the time we got an email from a guy who was a club DJ. Maybe he thought we needed better tunes at our work table?  Or yesterday, I got an email with no fewer than a dozen exclamation points where the writer wanted to tell me that she really! wanted! to! work! at! our! store! Another email told me what a detail-oriented person the writer was. Actually, what it said was 'I am very detail orientated.' Then she told me she was only available on weekdays.  These things are both odder if you read the ad.

I go through this every time we hire. My husband and I run this business together, but he insists that I hire all the floor sales staff. He shifts his schedule around so I can spend the time to meet with all the right people. He listens to me when I rant about the probably-qualified teen who showed up for the interview in flip-flops and a tank top. He pours me a glass of wine as I wonder how I could clone one or two of our current fabulous staff members instead of hiring someone else.

In the end, it seems worth it. We have an amazing staff of really talented artists and craftspeople. Most of them sell their work at craft shows or galleries or through free-lance design jobs. They know so much technical information about so many different items that we carry AND they get really excited when a new tool or bead or ribbon arrives. Adding another great person to this mix always ends up improving our store and making our customer's experience better.

Hmm, maybe we COULD use a DJ?

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to America. It's the same where I live. Every job ad brings on a parade of utter nincompoops (of all ages). And it's even worse when we use an employment agency. I work at a law firm and they send us people who don't even know how to type ("gee, no, we didn't skills test her."). It's frightening. How is a country supposed to survive with a work force like that?

    Your dream employee IS out there though! Unfortunately, you have to spend a lot of time wading through the shallow end of the gene pool to find them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! That is so funny about the DJ. Might make those creative sessions even more fun!
    I wish that I lived where you are, because I am pretty 'detail orientated' and I love to create and teach others to do the same. Sadly, the commute would kill me! ;-)
    Hope you find someone worthy soon! Or at least have some good wine and chocolate handy to absorb the shock.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got employed at a Subway down where I live in England, that go through the job centre quite frequently.

    The number of older teens they send that are completely useless and cannot do half the things it says on their resume is unbelieveable. Since I joined six months ago they have gone through at least half a dozen staff trying to fill another gap. Another is now on her final warning, having worked there for three.

    On top of that, I think the first thing people do when they read an ad today is look at how much they are getting paid. Once they think it;s decent, they don't bother reading the rest and just look for the first contact number or email they can find.

    The exclamation marks are depressing though. Even my age group knows not to use those in a serious document, and mine isn't exactly the best group to belong to, being a young adult myself.

    I guess you can just stick it out and wait for the right resume to drop in. I boss says he went through a good many before filling my position with me.

    Patience is a virtue, I guess. Just frustrating as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a store owner myself I understand you! The same happens here in Russia. But we're lucky to live in megapolis so we have thousands of options, which makes everything better.

    By the way, I always wanted to say (or maybe I did it already) that I adore your sore and your inventory. And I like to buy things from Ornamentea from time to time or just browse your website filled with very good phitis and so many crafty ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A DJ? Spin that, scratch that, bust some tunes!

    I'd love to work for you. I'm only two states away -- that's not TOO bead (oh, Freudian slip) -- too BAD a commute, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... those people sound so unprofessional. That would be like calling out job applicants on your business blog. Imagine the nerve.

    You would think you'd get some serious professionals to apply for the hardest retail job in Raleigh... especially at $7.50/hour.

    Good luck!

    -Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Gaylen is a fine DJ. Do you still use that Birthday/Horoscope book to narrow down the candidates?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn-since this blog is partially 'about the business of building a family business' I can't very well make it all sugar and sunshine! I have a lot of business owners who read my blog and appreciate the fact that I talk about the pluses and minuses.

    I am sorry if my post offended you-Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth-I can't use the birthday horoscope book because a friend borrowed it and never returned it-do you hear that, Jackie C? Just kidding, she needed it more than I did. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tatiana-I have been on your page! It's lovely, and I want you to know that Google translate does an AWFUL job with Russian craft terminology...at least I think they do. Your pictures are also great...project ideas are quite lovely. Thanks so much for reading my blog!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel for you!
    The number of people I have interviewed in my lifetime. The laugh/cry response to the hundreds of funny/pitiful applications.
    Here are a couple of things not to do on an interview...
    1. walk into the store, ask for an application and then ask when they do there.
    2. look great on paper, do well in an interview, then go home and post on facebook where you interviewed, that you didn't want it really but you would take ANYTHING at this point.
    I have complete trust that you will find someone fabulous to join the ornamentea family. You always do.
    BTW, how about a tutorial on enameling headpins? I joyfully received a wealth of enameling stuff from your store for christmas and would love to have a tut on just this.
    Hang in there, Cynthia!
    ellie

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?