Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Elaine's new bead shape...and how she works

This is a new bead shape from Elaine Ray...a square version of her washer. She wrote about this bead:

'A new bead shape: Many of you know how I work - think of a new bead shape, make just a couple and see how it is to glaze and fire them, then make a handful more to get a success / failure rate, and then decide if I want to make them in production. But not for this bead - I was so excited with the first flash vision in my head I didn't bother to think it through and just jumped in and made 100 in each color of clay I use (buff, brown and white). My plan was to glaze the flat side and leave the skinny edges of clay showing, sort of opposite of my washer beads. As soon as I attempt to glaze the first one of those 300 beads it hits me - this won't work! The glaze will run and stick to the wire in the kiln unless I'm super, super, super careful when applying the glaze and use only glazes that don't run. Well, I'm not capable of being that careful and most of my glazes run. Hmmmmm - I can't just toss out 300 beads so I figure I'll just glaze them same at the washer beads and say good bye to the shape forever.

BUT - now I'm loving the shape and edges so will most likely make more and more of them.'

Oh, Elaine, we agree! I can't wait to see these at the Trunk Show at Ornamentea on Friday and Saturday. I can think of about ten projects that I need these for...and there will be a fab class with Lorelei Eurto on Friday night where I could use the beads if I want...this is going to be a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking this is going to be a great weekend - Thanks Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! fantastic trunk show! last night i sat down with my haul and just delighted at the possibilities. great new additions, elaine (great to finally get to meet my fav bead artist!) and thanks for hosting, cynthia. you ladies rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Ellie! It was an amazing weekend. I'm glad you got some goodies...
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?