Sunday, July 08, 2012

Packing the craft supplies

We're headed out tomorrow for a trip to the mountains. We rent a bare-bones cabin, the same location every year, so we have to pack sheets, towels, pots, pans, everything.

My girls packed their clothes today. We've made two trips to the library for books. I've made a few treats, and my hubby gathered his biscuit-cutter and the flour.

But now, it's 11:00 pm and I'm packing all my craft supplies. I've purchased reed and cane for a basket, and the girls have markers, paper, staples and seventy nine rolls of duct tape. There's yarn and crochet hooks, a glue gun and a ruler. Paint, brushes, paper, book-binding needles and linen.

Is it enough? Really, WHAT will I need? A torch? What about wire-sterling, copper, a pickle pot? Leather cording? Seed beads and thread? Felt and needles?

Will it be too hot for hikes? Will we weave and draw and sculpt and hook it all in a day? It's this way every year-I worry and fret and then I just take too many craft supplies.

What do you pack when you travel?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, you hit the nail on the head. I have a home in British Columbia and pack my beads back and forth and I know all too well the worry and taking either too much or too little is always the way it is for me too. Often my mood is completely different when I get there so haven't taken the right things that I want to work with.
    I find if I take one pre-planned bead weaving project it usually works out the best so this is what I try to do now. Have fun that's the main thing! Enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holidays are all about renewal for me... but, yes, that should include the crafting I "want" to do for enjoyment, as opposed to catching up on "work" crafting. Some years a completely different craft, perhaps one you've never tried, can be just the ticket! The most important theme should be time for relaxing with family, so you don't arrive more tired than when you left (difficult for workaholics). That's a sign you need another vacation! *TeeHee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, does your story sound familiar! I vacation in the Adirondack mountains with my husband and his family the same week in July each summer; same town, same cabin. Initially, I was bringing all of my bead supplies because I wasn't sure exactly what I might want to work with. A few years back, my mother-in-law asked me to show her how to make a necklace. From that year on we decided to hold a "crafty day". We select a project in advance and bring the supplies for it. One year, my sister-in-law showed us how to make felted wool beads (she raises alpacas), the next year we painted wine glasses and learned to crochet with yarn and wire, this year we will be creating cards (per mom's request) and I will be creating polymer clay beads (my own personal project). Planning a project or two each year makes the packing part MUCH easier. Plus, my bead collection is way TOO large now to pack it all!

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog,It would be nice to know the person behind the store as well LOL LOVE the colours etc and so easy to find everything. Thank you Love and hugs Tanya

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?