Monday, July 29, 2013

Magical fish...


Saturday night I stayed late at the shop and, with the help of my business partner/husband I made a stick chandelier. It's just a blue-painted crepe myrtle branch with five winsome felted fish hanging from it. There's also a printed paper lantern that completes the scene, with grass and flowers and trees and soaring birds.

It makes me smile.

The fish were felted by McLeod Skinner, an artist who I am proud to say teaches felting classes here at the shop from time-to-time. She also sells her work on her etsy site, MilePost13.

Check out McLeod's upcoming needle felting classes. She's a great teacher.

Here's a quick Vine video I tweeted of the chandelier that night...


One of the best things about working with my husband as my business partner is that he understands why I might want date night to consist of making a stick chandelier. He's cool with it.

Our date night went like this: We ate dinner with my mom and the girls, then we changed our clothes and walked out of the house. We passed lots of swanky couples heading out to fancy dinners here in Glenwood South. We just kept walking, into the store. We turned on the music and I opened him a beer and then he got out the REALLY tall ladder. We took down the old light extravaganza over the work table. After a lot of discussion, we worked together to create this one. He kept me from (possibly) starting a fire with some of the lighting combinations I wanted to use and I tried not to stress him out too much with my crazy ideas.

It was fun.

Sometimes people will say 'I don't know how you can work with your husband! We'd kill each other!' and I have to say, I don't know how I could NOT work with my husband. Ornamentea wouldn't be the place it is, heck, it wouldn't even exist without him. He moves the big ladders, keeps me organized and keeps the whole place a bit safer. I paint the sticks and remember that we have beer in the fridge.

That's love.


2 comments:

  1. What an adorable post! I loved the work that you and your husband did together. It is love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randomly got to your blog and I just did the same thing with a branch I found a few weeks ago! What a great idea! Mines is just kind of hanging around in my living room inside a vase. Here's mine:

    http://www.westerncvlztnblog.com/2013/06/what-i-learned-from-jonathan-adler.html

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?