Thursday, October 10, 2013

Finding something right under your nose...


I spend a good bit of my time searching for the perfect new items for the store. It sometimes is fun, but sometimes it's frustrating when I can't find exactly what I want.

This fall, I feel like I'm on some kind of a lucky spree.

We've been looking for a long time (okay, maybe two years...) for really big, interesting toggles. Customers come in wanting larger (25 mm or more) toggles and we just don't have them. The few companies who make larger toggles put them out in one or two styles that sort of scream 'CHEAP' when you look at them. You know what I mean...the kind of findings that make anything you make look way less interesting the second you attach them.

Somehow, after all our searching, the perfect solution just popped up. Sarah Tector, of S.Tector metals, was first a customer, and then a staff member. She's a talented metal smith with an exacting eye for details and specifics. When she heard us griping over yet another vendor who's 'big' toggle looked like it had been made, and chewed on, by muskrats, she spoke up. Her impeccable work always features hand-made closures and she thought she could solve our problem.

Wow, was she right. I fell in love INSTANTLY with the clean, architectural designs of her toggles. They are large, yet light and airy at the same time. She had designs with square wire, with round wire, with twisted wire. She had toggles that you'd hate to hide at the back of your neck.

Needless to say, I ordered a whole bunch. Now we've got them in our case...and many sold out on their first evening in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something else to add?