Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Lower case l (L)

I love this blog.
http://lowercasel.blogspot.com/
It's all about the mystery of why, why, why folks will spell words in all caps until they get to the 'l' and then they go nuts.
The weird thing is, a lower case l looks like a capital i when printed with a bunch of other upper case letters.
Check out the blog to see what I mean.

My personal pet peeve is random quotation marks in signs. You know, you'll see a van with

Mike's A.C. Service
"all models serviced'
"since 1995"

on the side.
Who are they quoting?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Cynthia! I love that lowercase blog, too! Funny. I just wanted to write to encourage and congratulate you on the progress of your book. Can't wait to see it!

    Also...check out my digital collage blog at:

    http://lyndaboltzart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking that blog.. it made me laugh out loud! I, too, am annoyed by what my hubby and I refer to as "inappropriate use of double quotes". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:54 AM

    I haven't really paid attention to the lower-case L phenomenon, but it's downright fascinating. And THANK YOU for mentioning the absolute annoyance that is the unnecessary use of quotes! It is only to be challenged by my other written-word pet peeve, the unnecessary use of capitalization on random nouns in a sentence. Such as, "We stayed at a great Hotel while we were at the beach..."

    Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite:

    "hot" dog's

    Are they only lukewarm? And whose are they?

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?