Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Make a Weathered Bezel with Laurel


I love this new class we have at Ornamentea. This weathered looking bezel setting is made with soft, stained glass solder and copper. It's a way to create your own bezel settings without the open flame of a torch. Some folks are scared of open flames. I should be as I burnt up my big 80s hair bangs, time and time again, in the jewelry studios back at Ohio State*. Someone would say 'hey, do you smell something burning?' and I would realize my hair was sort of glowing. I am a bit nearsighted and I kept getting too close to the torch to make sure I could really see that solder flowing. Eventually I got glasses and cut my hair. The 80's couldn't last forever.

This class doesn't use an open, flamey torch but the (safer but really hot) stained glass soldering iron. No flames, let your giant rock-n-roll hair free. I think it would be nice to make some of these with two or even four rings and link them together. This one has a nice brass charm sealed behind ICE resin, but you could use a photo or other object. Maybe a lock of hair.

* I was there in the late 80s, me and 82,000 other people. I was the one with big hair, short leather miniskirts and a yellow Sony walkman with a mixed cassette tape in it. Yep, that girl.

2 comments:

  1. "a yellow Sony walkman"

    I HAD ONE TOO!
    Was yours, the cool waterproof one that had a rubber gasket seal?
    I LOVED MINE!

    It was so hot!
    I got mine in the late 80's
    And yes, I had bunches of mixed tapes playing all of the time too!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YES, the gasket seal, I had forgotten that! Hmm, what played in mine? Totally embarrassing things like Fine Young Cannibals and Terrence Trent D'Arby, less embarrassing music like Sinead O'Connor and Toad the Wet Sprocket, Sonic Youth and KMFDM...or wait, maybe those last ones are MORE embarrassing! We still have a giant box of mix tapes and I will play them from time to time in the store-you'd be amazed how many people say that they love the music on those days!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?