Saturday, May 02, 2009

Check It Out...

This is my weekend to revel in all the downtown Raleigh fun I can. I ate at The Busy Bee last night (one word: yum) and then today I decided to take my three-year-old to Beerfest. Well, not actually Beerfest, just the perimeter. We still got to see the drunk people walking around with their souvenir, non-breakable-plastic, miniature beer flutes, stumbling and laughing. I just didn't actually pay for a ticket ($45) seeing as how Nora isn't much of a beer drinker anyway. As we approached Moore Square and she saw everyone milling about in a drunken stupor she said "we can't go up there, we'll bump into all those people.' I took her advice. We wandered the City Market area and I stopped in to see my old friend Leeann Hynes at her new business venture.

Epona and Oak
is a lovely-smelling store with natural body care, teas and lots of handmade crafts. I bought two tee shirts (see one above) and some amazing candles while Nora wandered around, looking ultra cool as she refused to take off her sunglasses and hat. The store is really soothing; the only thing it was missing was a nice big couch where I could lounge and just drink in the smells and sights. I can hardly wait to go back for a massage and a cup of tea.

LeAnn used to work with me at Bedizen Ornaments; first as an 'elf' assembling jewelry and finally as our head buyer. She has top-knotch craft skills and an amazing attention to detail coupled with a bizarre sense of humor. She left Ornamentea to persue her own work and because the store owner (that's me!) was probably driving her nuts. Now she gets to be the store owner AND buyer and drive herself nuts. Have fun!

Tomorrow we are all heading down to Marbles for the Handmade Market. Something tells me Nora will like that a lot better than the Beerfest crowds. I always end up getting lots of great clothes and gifts (for me!) at the Handmade Market: knowing my children and spouse are happily playing at Marbles will make it that much nicer...

P.S. We took the new R line to Moore Square today. I just want to thank the Raleigh City Council and Mayor Meeker for creating this bus line just for me. I swear, it is exactly what I need. Free. Easy. Right by Ornamentea...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something else to add?