Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mess in the classroom


I love to make signs and rearrange the stores. This is one of my favorite parts of my job. On Tuesday I had to work the evening shift and it was all I could do not to rearrange the entire back wall at Ornamentea. I mean, it needs a coat of paint and some new shelves and we could add a chandelier or two...only the fact that I really could not work until 2:00 a.m. kept me from doing everything I wanted to.

Instead, I did do a bit of rearranging and tried to get the new cases better integrated into the store. We have added more cases in the metals section to get ready for a big expansion of tools and metals. We are adding nickel/German silver and expanding our selection of fine and sterling silver strip and sheet metal. We are adding some fancier new tools and do-dads. I get to make a lot of new signs (!) and I even bought a new paint marker. It was a really, really good day. The only 'not good' part of the day was the mess I made in the classroom. See that mess? I took this picture on THURSDAY so it was a Two Day Mess. Sigh...I just cleaned it up today to make room for a class. Basically, that means I transferred the mess to the back classroom and will deal with it later.

Back in the beginning days of the store I would have stayed up until 2:00 rearranging the whole thing. Actually, the 'whole thing' was smaller, so I might have gone to bed earlier and still rearranged a lot. Either way, I moved it all around a lot more. I wasn't so respectful of my body's need for sleep and we didn't have the girls at home so if my husband wanted to see me he just hung out with me at the store and helped me. We'd stay up late painting or building and I would make a few signs while he re-wired a lamp or installed a camera. They were like date nights! We actually joke about that now and say we are going to get a sitter and have a date night where we come into the store and repaint the floor or move a big display. That sounds kinda pathetic when I type it here, like we have no romance in our lives, but we enjoy working with each other on an actual project. I think we would have made good pioneers or homesteaders. Beads on the prairie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something else to add?