Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A hard task...

Today I had to send out a hard newsletter to all my customers telling them we would be closing one of our stores. You can read it here. We opened Panopolie almost five years ago to great fanfare and high expectations and it has been so much fun. The current economy and an expiring lease brought us to the decision to close the store at the end of April. I have been overwhelmed with responses from our customers and fans. Everyone seems to understand that this was such a hard decision. The biggest concerns were about how we would accommodate some of the best parts of Panopolie in Ornamentea's smaller, funky space. Folks told me they would really miss the paper crafts, the clubs and events, the accessibility, the sweet birthday party and class locations. I want those customers to be happy when they come to Ornamentea and so I wrote this post for them. Here are some changes I want to make-hold me to them!

Some changes we will be making to Ornamentea:
Creating a Paper Room
We'll be opening up a small doorway to make a larger one and also opening up the kiln room to create a space for art papers, book making kits, Decopatch papers and all our fabulous glitters, binding threads, scrapbook papers and other paper arts goodies. These items have been so popular at Panopolie and we won't let them disappear. This room will also function as a special entrance to our remodeled back classroom.
Adding 'new' events
One of the best things we did at Panopolie was organize parties. We held book readings, slumber parties and club meetings of all kinds. We had a weekly breakfast crafting event where friendships were made. These fun events will move to Ornamentea and we really hope all the Panopolie customers make the trip to join us.
Opening up the sales floor
You'll see less furniture, more open floor space. We need to do this to accommodate our customers with mobility issues and to make room so we don't all bump elbows. We have already traded two large fixtures for three airy spinners and that was a big help. You will have to look a bit to find some of your favorites but the change will be worth it. Oh, and we have staff to actually help you do that looking!
Improving the back classroom
This room was never supposed to be a classroom. It has really ugly carpet and a weird half wall that makes it much smaller than necessary. You enter it through a store room where we keep the kiln. That kiln room will go away when we create the paper room. We painted the classroom and did a good bit of sprucing on the Inventory day recently, but now we'll remove the half wall and get new tables that will allow us to seat 16 for parties and 8 really spaciously for day-long classes. The front classroom will get some sprucing done as well...

Other things? Well, I am sure there are a few. We may try to have two smaller work tables in the store, or add a coffee-table at the couch for overflow crafting. I am not sure. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Our budget is about $0 but we have so many talented hands that we actually can make something from nothing.

I'll miss Panopolie. The store is really beautiful. It is spacious and airy and that sky-blue open ceiling (which our landlord did NOT want us to do!) is so nice you almost forget you are in a strip mall. The sun shines in the windows late in the day, making all the beads sparkle. Those big work tables make me just swoon...over the next month I will cherish the days I am able to be there working but I know that the energy and excitement we will all bring back home to Ornamentea will make that store even better.

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful you are to incorporate "both" stores into one! I'll bet you have tons of friends and customers with extra furniture, or whatever, who would love to donate their items to make the "new" shop work well. I wish I lived closer--I have a couple of things I could donate myself. Just an idea--but "friends help friends" and now that you've put the info out there, I'll bet you'll get lots of "helpers" from your area. Good luck!! CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so sad about this. But I am sure that Ornamentea will be tons better and I'm excited to see what will be coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand why but it doesn't diminish the sadness I am experiencing! This was my local shop; I live about a mile away from this shop and frequent it very often! It will certainly be a trek downtown but I will continue coming... I loved all of the staff at Panopolie, they were always so helpful. I have always preferred the Panopolie store over the Ornamentea store for the very reasons you stated above... I loved how spacious the area was and have always felt cramped at the downtown location. It seems you are trying to clear it out a bit, so in closing I hope to make it down to the store in the next weeks to see the changes being made.
    Have a "la te da" day,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to see Panopolie go. Tuesday and Fridays have been a blast, there. I will look forward to trying a new venue and making more friends at Ornamentea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda said it perfectly. I love Panopolie and I am so sad to see it go -- it's like losing an old friend. I, too, live very close. It's near my PO Box, my bank, and my Super Target. The staff IS amazing -- I have always feel relaxed, welcome and very well-attended. It is a beautiful, comfortable store. We've enjoyed having our meetups there, where the space could accommodate more people. But tell us what we can do to help you at Ornamentea, and we'll do it. We wish you all the best!
    Cheers,
    Jen
    Raleigh Jewelry Meetup Group

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, just because change is constant doesn't mean it is *ever* easy :-\ you (and your fabulous staff) are to be commended for making responsible decisions, and for the extra effort you put into keeping your throng of fans happy :-) i look forward to watching you continue to grow and strengthen as an extremely cool local business!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly1:29 PM

    Oh, how sad. I'm sorry to hear about Panopolie, but it will give me more reasons to head downtown and visit y'all at Ornamentea. I have to admit I haven't been in either store all that often recently because of homeschooling, the addition of a third baby, life...

    Thanks for all that you guys have done. I'll never forget catching a glimpse of you standing in front of your new store and having your picture made. I just couldn't help leaning out my car window to wish you good luck. Good luck in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this post makes me just want to cry... so heart felt.... I never thought I could feel this way about a bead store

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly, I will always treasure that memory of you shouting out a welcome! Bring those babies on in to Ornamentea!
    Jessica-thank you!
    Jen-I look forward to seeing your group fill up our tables...
    Amanda-thanks for making the extra trip, we'll try to make it worthwhile!
    Penny-you are so right, it's hard but good
    thank you all for your words of encouragement...

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?