Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bead Soup Blog Party Reveal

Here is a video of my project for the Bead Soup Blog Party. I was paired with Christine Damm and she sent me a challenging two-strand clasp and a focal adorned with her signature layered patterns. The color palette of the focal and clasp was black with red, white, gold and green accents. If you have been around me lately you know that I have a bright red streak in my black hair, so this palette is obviously one of my favorites! The accent beads Christine sent were mostly in the black-and-white family, although she popped a few green jade pieces and some patinaed brass, too. I used a lot of what she sent me but my big additions were the German hand-dyed rayon cording and the brass ball chain. I love the dots of brass with the dotted-and-striped patterns Christine had on her focal and the red, well, that was a perfect fit. 

The parts for this necklace have been sitting on my studio table since Christine sent them to me. I can be very indecisive with beads sometimes. I would put down accent pieces and remove them, over and over, until I came up with the final design. The design you see is not the 'final' design I thought I would end up with! I had actually paired the focal and clasp with this rayon cording and these ceramic Elaine Ray beads but in the end it didn't seem like the best design. The flower printed rayon took the pendant from Africa to South East Asia and the whole design was much more feminine and floral. It was very pretty, but it was too summery and with fall approaching I wanted to make something that seemed perfect for cooler weather.

While I worked, I mixed metals throughout this design; brass ball chain, silver machine ends, brass jump rings, silver jump rings, steel clasp and steel beads, brass head pins. The mix of colors in the focal seemed to demand a mix of metals. 

I constructed the necklace by cutting the cording strands and gluing the cording and ball chain into the machine ends on one side only. Then I fed beads onto each cording strand and knotted below the bead so that they wouldn't all fall to the center when the necklace was worn. After I positioned the beads along the cording I attached the other machine ends. For this project I used the Beacon 527 glue, which is a great glue that has just enough viscosity to really get inside that cording and around that ball chain. I have made several pieces using this glue and these machine ends and the results are always sturdy. 

After I attached the pendant to the cording using jump rings I began adding the ball chain tassel. Watch the video to see the way I attached the ball chain pieces to the back of the pendant with those clip-in chain ends. I also used the same ends to attach the dangles at the end of the chain pieces. I have to say, those clip-in ends make things easy for an indecisive person like me! I moved several of the charms around on the tassel until I liked the effect. 

I worked on this design both on my studio desk and, in the end, on a mannequin at the store. I like working on a mannequin for larger-scale, drapey designs so that I can step back and see what is lying where. 

Working on this project was a fun challenge and interesting for me. I usually only design with items from Ornamentea and I select most of them so I am rarely pushed to work with an item I didn't pick out in one way or another. There were several other interesting items in the box and I'll post projects using them in future blog entries over the coming months. The first item up on my list is a twisted, coiled bit of steel wire from Christine's husband. It has an excavated, urban look to it that is very interesting to me. I couldn't make it work in this necklace but I have a bracelet idea for it that I'm pretty excited about.

Here is a listing of all the BSBP participants...settle in and visit as many as you can! I'll blog about some of them over the following month.
The Hostess, Lori Anderson and her partner, Manuela Wutschke


19. Anna Sabina­­­­ and Erin Siegel













that amounts to 362 people making jewelry and finding inspiration in each other's stashes! wow! Thanks to Lori for organizing and coordinating this swap and thanks to Christine for the fab box of goodies I got! 

Now I'm off to read some blog posts...

Oh, this necklace will be on my other blog, 365necklaces, maybe today!

51 comments:

  1. Cynthia, you have really done my little focal proud! Such fabulosity!! I never thought of the dangles-- super idea and one I will plan for when making these in the future. I adore the German cord-- is that Tentakulum?? I bought some and didn't know what to do with it-- now I do!The video is inspired and it's my first time on YouTube so thanks! Can't wait to see what you do with Douglas' piece of twisted wire. So glad you were my partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Makes me want to make tassels, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic necklace-very cool! The clasp is awesome. You created a really great piece for the Fall season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out so cute. I love what you did with your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love blog hoping. There are so much fine artists with wonderful art work - like yours! This is a wonderful necklace, I would immediatly wear!
    Greetings, Michi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outrageous! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice necklace with a cool focal! Viscose gimp is one of my latest "crushes" so of cause I like seeing this design with its abundance of cording. It goes very nice with the ball chain too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! Really love how you explained all of the pieces in the video and showed the details of the pendant and other ingredients that we may have otherwise missed. Very beautiful soup and necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunner! The way you textured the multi-strands and tassel are so lovely, and fit the scale of the focal so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a gorgeous necklace. I just love the focal, clasp and the way you've pulled it together into a spectacular piece of wearable art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. Quite tribal, all that extra design time while you were deciding paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome design! Love the polymer clay focal pendant! The red fibers really add to this design...awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful creation! Love the mixture of color and design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love the cord and ball chain you added. The layers of beads on the cord are sumptuous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what an ingenious way to present your finished design. I see a lot of love went into this and the end result is a unique and bold piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Utterly amazing. Christine is a true artist and so are you! I LOVE all the details. LOVE. It's so tribal and that red is fierce! I would wear that -- yes indeedy.

    Thank you SO MUCH for partying with me!

    I hope you'll join me next time! The badge and dates will be posted tomorrow, the 19th!

    Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you made! Everything about it is a work of art. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. stunning creation...wow

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful! You have created a terrific piece of wearable art. I love your use of color and texture for this necklace. Thank you for sharing your artistic process with us. Cheers!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  20. How nice to post a video instead of photos.
    This is such a statement piece. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really bold design Great absolutly
    Be Blessed to be a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a gorgeous piece! You had great soup, and you cooked it up to perfection. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like it was way fun to make. The clasp is very cool and having the extra loop on the back of the focal piece certainly gave it so much more interest with how you used it. I love that the red has variegated tones, that just ads more dimension. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very creative and interesting necklace. LIke your use of the double strand clasp.

    P>S. The video showed up very dark on my computer, and I wished for brighter closer photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great details - Beautiful necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The focal and clasp are stunners...I Love the whole tribal look you created..especially the fringed tassel from the focal. Am Loving the red!
    jenni

    ReplyDelete
  27. First off, love the vid of the necklace. Just like I was in the shop (which I'd love to be!) Totally adore the German cording. My absolute favorite on this necklace is the brass chain dangles. I haven't seen that before, and it's very striking. Awesome design!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cool! What a great combination of materials and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Video. How come I didn't think of that? I like the textural detail on the focal, and the red cording ROCKS! I lust for red.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea to do a video, gives a much better feeling for the 'drapability' and the scale of the work as you handle it. Since I love Christine's work I was biased before I started looking, but your piece is dramatic and wonderfully stately. Terrific. You did a great job with the clasp - would have been a real challenge for me...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wish I could have seen a picture of your finished piece! From your description, it sounds interesting, but my iPad won't let me view the video :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW!!! this piece is fabulous! Great colors, great style, great feel!

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE it! What a unique use of ball chain!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous! The cording is so awesome - I love how substantial this piece is with out being at all obnoxious. (well that sounded horrible but I promise it is only meant to be a compliment). It is just such a gorgeous piece. That focal with the strands coming out of it - just AWESOME! Now you need to take a photo of you (or someone else) wearing it so we can see how it lays/wears.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a bold and unique piece! Love the different mediums you used.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a wonderful, beautiful necklace - the tassel is perfect, and the red perfectly compliments the components - love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's a really fabulous necklace. I love all the details you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing! Well done soup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! That's great. Love all the fibers. So pretty and it's got great movement.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous3:12 PM

    The necklace is fabulous. I adore the dangles! Great idea using video to describe your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous9:30 PM

    love what you did with your soup

    ReplyDelete
  42. The items your soup partner sent you were so fun for you to play with. You really did an amazing job with the necklace. The video was really nice too. Loving the tassels with our jewelry..! Soup-er job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. A piece of art! I love it! I wish I could have seen a still photograph of the whole piece, but I did enjoy being able to see you turn over the focal and highlight some of the special features of your design! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks fantastic! Quite the dream job you have there too from the looks of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  45. How refreshing to watch a video, my tired eyes say thank you!! Your necklace has a wonderful tribal feel to it. Love the red and the polymer clasp and focal. I think you created an amazing bold piece.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Too cool! Love this necklace and love that clasp!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love that red cording! It pulls everything together beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Its modern tribal! Eclectic and gorgeous. Ball chain? WHo knew? Loved the video, thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is such a rich look. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow, that tassel dangle is amazing behind the focal... and so neatly attached. I love the focal and clasp in your bead soup - you did a great job of creating the necklace around them.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous4:32 AM

    It was really interesting to read the whole creative project. The necklace came out wonderful, I like it!

    Ambra

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?