Thursday, February 15, 2007

New Obsession - Making Paper Earrings?

I am currently obsessed with putting Diamond Glaze on paper and making tiny stiff sheets of paper into something. I don't yet know exactly where this is going. I currently have about 200 tiny pieces of paper that I have treated with the Diamond Glaze and now I am playing around with what to do with them. The Diamond Glaze makes the paper shiny and in some cases, makes it transparent as well. The paper I used is all Nepalese handmade paper, but you could use any kind of paper, I think, or photos, too.
Here's how you can make your tiny pieces of paper stiff:
1. Cover a piece of cardboard with clear plastic wrap (like Saran Wrap) and tape it down. I wrapped mine like a canvas and taped it on the back.
2. Take a small piece of paper and cover it on both sides with a thin coat of Diamond Glaze. You can use your fingers or a brush. I like using my fingers. The Diamond Glaze washes off.
3. Put each piece of paper on the plastic-covered cardboard to dry. It will take about 20 minutes for them to dry or you can use a heat gun or blow dryer set on the lowest setting to speed it up.
Now, I am using a hole punch and eyelet setter to put eyelets in these pieces of paper...so far I have made some earrings and I really like them. They are lightweight and very colorful. They feel really 80s to me, but that may be because I used a lot of the black and white checked paper in them. I have some other ideas. I may do a necklace with the paper bits hanging off, or put them around the bottom of a lamp shade. I am not altogether sure but so far I really enjoy making them.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:45 AM

    Oh fun, I just picked up a couple of packs of that Nepalese paper! I have also been eying those awesome rolls of Japanese papers, but those will have to wait 'till next trip ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?