Wednesday, June 06, 2007

jewelry ideas for the book


Here is a project that I am working on for the book. It is one of the last projects, in order, but not one of the last I am making. It will be an elaborate necklace with different beading or stones all the way around.
Making all this jewelry has been fun. I am really enjoying this. For the first time in years I am spending time just creating new jewelry, beading and playing with wire and color and shapes. I am waking up in the middle of the night and rushing into the studio to jot something down on my Rhodia pad (I splurged for the book and got the big one with the grid...oh, it's nice!)
Because I wasn't designing to sell my jewelry for the last few years I have been really stingy with myself. I realized I would make a pair of earrings and a bracelet and then think 'gee, that's enough new jewelry for you, get back to your regular work now.' Now I am staying up REALLY late just making new pieces and playing with fitting shapes and colors together. I think of beading as three-dimensional collage and love trying to get the combinations just right.
My studio is a HUGE mess, however, as every day I bring home more and more parts to try out in the projects. We gotta do something about that soon or I will get buried in headpins and beads and spools of chain. That is a major perk of being the queen bee. I just got six big spools of my favorite chains today. It feels so luxurious!

3 comments:

  1. How fun! Glad to hear you have an excuse to play with beads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That necklace is simply gorgeous!!

    And I love the Rhodia pads. :)

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something else to add?