Tuesday, August 28, 2007

make your life nicer...


You want to do that, right? Well, I have a tip for you. About two or so years ago some friends invited us to join them in a supper club of sorts and it has made our lives richer, more fun and (really) easier. We have dinner together, our four families, one night a week. One family hosts each week. The hosts cook, set up and clean up for a group of eight adults and nine children under the age of seven. Now, hold on there. It's really nice. Yeah, I know you are thinking 'cripes, seventeen people for dinner? how is that making your life easier?' Well, once a month you do host and that can be crazy (but it really is fun!) but the other three weeks you go to dinner with friends, sit and chat with the adults while your child plays with good friends. The children all know each other's homes and back yards and pets and look forward to the night. The parents get to have adult conversation, eat delicious food, share new beers or a recipe for vegan cupcakes that is amazing or just vent about a current political situation. It is divine.

My house is tiny. We can't seat seven, much less seventeen, but folks sit where they can and we all enjoy the time together. I clean up beforehand or don't. I make home made everything or I hit the farmer's market and make frozen biscuits. I don't dress up. I don't polish the silver. I don't worry about anything. It is sooo nice.

So call your bestest friend and invite two other families you might like to get to know better. Decide on a format (we do Tuesdays at 5:30, vegetarian, byob) and get cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something else to add?