Monday, February 21, 2011

Springy New Project; Eyes & Eyelets Bracelet

This project is for Friday's Dispatch but I was so pleased with it I decided to share it here, today. Now I'll have to go create something else new for Friday!

I love these new stone skulls. They are carved from howlite and dyed in a turquoise blue or left in their natural, skull-colored howlite white. Either way, they are pretty cheery for skulls, don't you think? I made three of the bracelets and might just make a few more. I'm really in the mood to layer up the bright, colorful bracelets this year for some reason. 

The deerskin lacing is very soft and comes in some lovely colors. Like all leathers, it does stretch a bit so I recommend making the bracelet on the short side or pre-stretch the leather. I used the Crafted Findings Riveting Tool to set the eyelets in the ends of the deerskin. This tool is so amazing, it sets rivets and eyelets so perfectly you don't have to be embarrassed about the backs of your jewelry. I used the tool to punch holes in the leather quickly and then to set the eyelets, creating a loop for the jump ring. The tool flares the eyelet with such a nice finish.



fold the leather, then punch hole
insert the washers and eyelet
such a nice finish!

Then I created the spinning flower charm. I used the Crafted Findings tool to create a hole in the middle of the cab setting. Then I fed the eyelet, flower and washer (star shaped!) onto the eyelet. The tool flared the eyelet so quickly, and so perfectly!

punch a hole in the cab setting
fit the setting with the eyelet

stack the flower and accent

flare the accent using the tool





To create the skull bead dangle I used an extra thick brass head pin. It is sturdy enough that you can skip the wire wrapping...

thread bead onto jump ring
loop with round nose pliers

I have a video I shot while making this that will be up on YouTube very soon...I'll let you know.

The ingredients for one bracelet:
7 inches deerskin lacing, 3/16” wide
2 square jump rings, 1/2 inch
5 riveting accents  
5 eyelets, 1/16th inch x 1/8th inch 
Tools
Crafted Findings riveting tool with 1/16" eyelet setter
Round nose pliers
Flat nose pliers
Wire cutters or scissors

For the in-depth directions you'll have to wait for the Dispatch!

Hey! the video is up: right here on our YouTube channel 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something else to add?